Thursday, December 3, 2009

Interesting patterns

I just looked at the clock and saw it was 12:36, which seemed like an interesting series. I came to determine that this was inherently interesting because 12 * 3 = 36 and three is not only the third digit in the series, but also the lowest factor of 12 (excluding 1, of course). Beyond that three is also the largest common denominator between 12 and 36 as well as the smallest odd prime. The square root of 36 is six, which also happens to be the last digit. If just looking at the digits by themselves, I noticed that 1 + 2 = 3 and 2 * 3 = 6. If there was another number in the series, it'd probably be 729 (3^6).

That makes me wonder about a lot of things. Like do other people see numbers and start picking out patterns? Do certain series of numbers look interesting to others, even if they can't explain why? Would I (and perhaps others) pick up on these interesting numbers if looking at an analog clock?

No comments:

Post a Comment